Langkawi islands of Malaysia, also known as the ‘Jewel of Kedah’ is an archipelago of more than 100 small islands. The place has beautiful white sand beaches, colorful night markets, dramatic waterfalls and an underwater marine park. If you are visiting Langkawi from Koh Lipe, you can find shared ferry transfers. With multiple online ferry ticket booking options, booking a Koh Lipe to Langkawi ferry is an easy task.
Before you take the plunge, lets take you through all you need to consider for your trip from Koh Lipe to Langkawi.
Transportation options from Koh Lipe to Langkawi
Ferries travel between Koh Lipe to Langkawi islands starting at 09:30 AM local time. The last ferry from Koh Lipe to Langkawi leaves at 04:00 PM and reaches Langkawi at 06:30 PM. Currently, 4 ferry trips are being run daily.
The duration and frequency change depending on the season and sea conditions. Ferries arrive at Pattaya beach from November to May. The travel point changes in May to November period to Sunrise beach.
Koh Lipe to Langkawi Ferry
The ferries are run by Bundhaya speed boat, Telaga terminal Smart En Plus and Jumping Frog travel. The ferry operates every day and takes 1 hour 30 minutes to reach Langkawi. Thus, it is advised to stay up-to-date before travelling. Bundhaya Speed Boat will drop off passengers in Kuah Jetty, while the passengers boarding the Telaga terminal will be dropped off at Telaga Harbour International Terminal.
The pickup point at Koh Lipe Island is Pattaya beach. Usually, the tourists have to ride a tail boat to reach the ferry. The cost of one-sided travel starts from 167.46 MYR and so.
- Cheaper than a charter plane
- Available at most times
- Preferable for people who get jitters at the thought of air travel
- Scenic view of the sea
- Increased travel time
- Chances of delay
- Depends heavily on weather conditions
Read more on Popular Ferry Routes in Malaysia
Koh Lipe to Langkawi Ferry Schedule
Langkawi to Koh Lipe (local time)
- 9:30 am
- 10:30 am
- 2:30 pm
Koh Lipe to Langkawi (local time)
- 10:30 am
- 1:00 pm
- 3:00 pm
- 4:00 pm
Preparing for the journey – Ferry to Langkawi
It is always better to be prepared. Traveling by ferry requires tourists to check in for immigration and customs on both islands.
The customs and immigration office of Koh Lipe is situated at Pattaya beach and Sunset beach. Every carrier asks you to arrive around an hour and a half before the departure time to complete the process. Ensure to carry your passport.
What to bring and what to leave behind
If you do not have Visa-on-Arrival (VOA), then you might need the following documents before traveling like
- Completed application form for VOA
- Return ticket
- Proof of financial capacity
We advise you to arrive at the ferry terminal 1.5 hours before the departure time to avoid any hassles during check-in.
- Drive safely
- Don’t leave your belongings unattended
- Use cards as much as possible
- Buy insect repellent
Arriving in Langkawi
Customs and Immigration
There are two customs and Immigration offices at Kuah Jetty and Telaga harbour. The processing at these points is quick. because a visa in Malaysia is not required for citizens of most countries. However, the procedure for customs and immigration might take some time.
You can rent a car or scooter at Langkawi to travel to your hotel or tourist places. Cabs are also available from the ferry terminals.
Things to do in Langkawi
- Cenang beach: It is one of the most beautiful beaches in Langkawi with palm and coconut trees linked along the beach.
- Tanjung Rhu beach: It is one of the clearest beaches in Malaysia. Apart from the beautiful emerald blue water, it is a paradise for bird watchers too.
- Pantai Tengah beach: The longest beach in Langkawi, it offers option of water sports.
- Langkawi skycab: Located over 550 million Mount Machinchange, it gives a breathtaking view of the forest and Skybridge.
- Underwater world: It is the largest freshwater and marine aquarium with 4000+ species inside the park.
- Mount Raya: It is the highest mountain at 881 meters. It has a dense forest reserve.
Read more about Langkawi Sunset Cruise
While Langkawi is for typical tropical island vibes, Koh Lipe is the one you might choose for some respite and meditation. Its calm waters make it a perfect spot for snorkeling or chilling at the stunning beaches. Book ferry tickets in advance on redBus and also get a chance to save up to 50% OFF on ferry ticket online booking with promo codes.
If this trip is on your bucket list, then you might want to keep yourself prepared with sunscreens, sandals, and a valid passport. Just make sure to enjoy the pristine water and the sea creatures.